Can I sue the driver of the car I was riding in if I injured my back in a New York car accident?

Yes. New York allows the passenger to sue the driver of the host vehicle, we call it. That’s not a problem, in some states you can’t do that or it’s limited. New York allows it. But to recover for pain and suffering in an auto case in New York, you have to prove a serious injury. Now, in the case of a back, unless you have a fracture, what a serious injury means, usually, is some restricted motion, where you can’t bend or turn, and it’s permanent or prolonged. Or sometimes we see disks that are ruptured or bulging that cause pressure on the nerve roots that affects the power and sensation in the legs. And those can qualify many times as serious injuries, but you must show a serious injury to recover for a back injury or any injury in a New York motor vehicle accident.

Free Confidential Case Evaluation

    Tomkiel eBook

    Don’t Let The Insurance Companies Take Advantage of You!
    Find out what you should do to protect your rights — and what you must not do so you don’t hurt your case!

    We will send you our FREE E-booklet without any obligation to help you obtain full, fair and just compensation for your injuries.

      Enter Email to Receive your Free E-booklet